Sunday, March 31, 2013

The fog and I are settling in


Today I got my first plant.  A shopkeeper gave it to me. Parsley.  Everyone thinks it is coriander but I am absolutely positive it is parsley.  They just do not taste (or look??) the same to me. (I took a photo but forgot my camera to load it up here)  My parcel arrived - could not remember what I had sent.  Was hoping for a stapler and magnets but got file folders instead.  Which I was looking forward to, however the paper size is larger here and the paper sticks out.  Also I sent 3 packages of file folders.  What was I thinking?  A copy of the Hunger Games.  Have not seen it here in the bookstores and the students have not seen the film.  
Walked down to Tsimisham where there is an ATM.  Another pay check deposited.  Wandered through my new quarters.  Still a bit away but the "geyser" or hot water heater has been installed in the kitchen.  I will not know how to cope with the luxury!!  Although I will not miss the ??mold?? that has started to grow like fuzz on a section of kitchen wall that is particularly damp.  It is whitish and fuzzy. I cleared it off last night and it is already a couple of centimetres thick tonight. 
On the walk Palden and I talked about her home in Paro.  Her 77 year old father is staying with her.  She brings him here for awhile every spring so that he doesn't work too hard on the farm.  He has had a very interesting life and she has always wanted to write his story.  We are going to try to write it together.  I am really looking forward to hearing it.  Although her father does not speak English, he understands.  He spent time in Sikkim and India and worked for the second King's mother if I understand the terminology correctly.
The mornings have moments of sun and are quite warm.  In the late afternoon the fog rolls in.  Thick like soup, or a spooky movie.  Supper was asparagus crepes:)  I bought asparagus for the vp who has been very generous with everything I need. 

My students all wrote tests on Friday so I will be busy marking the rest of the weekend.  Have a new desk from the old computer lab that I borrowed for my quarters. 

1 comment:

  1. HI Heather!
    Good to read about what you have been up to. I like the sound of your new place - that hot water geyser will be amazing!!! (we are still waiting for ours that was meant to arrive 'after Losar'!!)
    Sounds like an interesting project to write the life story of your friends father. THinking of you xx

    ReplyDelete