Thursday, March 7, 2013

Sun and Frustration


Rain all evening and woke up to a glorious sunny day  It already looks as though it will be raining by 4 again today.  Snow on the mountains.  The air can be hot and cold at the same time: warmed by the sun and cold air driven in from the mountains. 
I think I am going through the disillusionment stage I read about in the guide to cultural shock or some such thing. So frustrated with teaching.  Wondering what I am really doing here.  How can I contribute?  How to teach the curriculum?  Teachers giving notes:  they hand out 3 copies, post the notes and 40 students are to copy. "The Nature of Language".  "Arbitrariness"  Written in flowery language where I can barely decipher the meaning. 
      It is all so up and down.  I have been invited for dinner on Saturday March 9th to celebrate my friend Sonam's departure.  Birthdays are not celebrated here. I am at her house right now.  She is preparing a speech for the assembly on International Women's day. Am also talking with another Bhutanese teacher about going to a remote Bhutanese  village to help with elections. 

The Bhutanese call their country "Land of the Thunder Dragon".  I now understand why- the thunder is bigger than the biggest at home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment