Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Thoughts


     As I have struggled with my day to day life here and found myself to be unhappy at times, I have discovered that my struggles are the same as those I have at home.  They are physically different, but emotionally the same.  My need to keep moving, to be almost nomadic and my inablity to sit with what is. My need to be the centre of attention.  My way of putting off work that really should be done and distracting myself by visiting or going walking.  Right now for example, I really should be reading my students' biographies, but I am focused on me. 
     The great thing is that I am becoming more content.  I asked myself this week what I want to get out of this time, and did not come up with a true answer.  I promised myself to do more yoga, to read, paint and crochet.  So far I have done a bit of yoga; I do not know why it is so hard to come to my mat. I prefer to go outside and walk in the beautiful morning air. I have read some, and now have more books.  I have watched some movies - whoops - that is not on the list:) Lastly I made most of a hat on Saturday. 
     A few things that I have noticed:  
1.  I laugh as much as I can.  I help others to laugh.  I was too serious at home.  Intense or something.  Perhaps this is a process of letting go of some of that intensity.  Or maybe that just happens as I age.  Well maybe I am still intense, when I reflect on my garbage picking day - I was pretty furiously grabbing everything in sight, not able to give one of my pink rubber gloves to students because I was using both hands to collect every piece of plastic I could find.  
2.  I like being around people.  At home I have become a bit reclusive.  Here I want to be around people.  I thought in Thimphu that I would grow tired of the group, being with a collection of teachers that I did not know.  But I did not.  Here, the Bhutanese homes are busy, full of people and kids.  I love it and find it lonely to come back to my quarters.  ALTHOUGH  I think that I still enjoy my down time and would go nuts if I actually lived in one of those Bhutanese homes. 
3.  I am still the centre of attention as I walk through town, from my point of view anyways.  The "chillip" or foreigner.  Lots of kids say "good evening ma'am" as I wander through town.  Love it.  Almost like being famous. 
Night all
Thanks for following me on this adventure
Love to my family

4 comments:

  1. Great insights there heather. I think if we really want to put some buddhist ideas in practise, here is the place to do it. Keep laughing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very candid Heather. I am glad this journey is bring you closer to true happiness you definitely picked the right place for that. I think we all search for the balance, you sound as though you are well on your way to achieving it. Kudos my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As you describe your feelings, a lot of what you say parallels with my life and personality. I can learn a lot from you.

    ReplyDelete