Saturday, March 2, 2013

New Start for a New Block Block


Consecration of the Science Block 
Teachers keeping warm by the smoky fire.  Cypress leaves are burnt for incense. 
More teacher pics. 
     This morning at 7 am we met dressed in our finest with kabney and rachu to greet the lama and monks that were to perform the puja for the consecration of the new science block.  It is a building that was constructed with JICA funds - from Japan.  there are 3 science labs, a new library and reading room and a computer lab.  The monks performed the ceremony and then we ate breakfast which consisted of suja - Bhutanese tea (like Tibetan tea, salty) and a rice dish, eaten with our hands.  We then went to class where I think I was the only one teaching.  I did a speaking game and when the bell rang my students made me close the door and continue, as they were enjoying it.  We rushed out the door to assembly where classes were divided into work teams to shift the old labs to the new ones.  With the hundreds of workers it took about an hour and a half.  My class had SUPW: socially useful and productive work.  We picked up garbage around a prescribed area of the campus.  The students and teachers have other words for SUPW that generally replace useful with useless.  I do not find it useless personally.  I like the concept of cleaning up.  My first round 2 Saturdays ago was toilets,  which is not pleasant. 

Although it looks like an unclear photo, it is the smoke. 
    This afternoon I "wandered" picked up some vegetables and baking soda.  I am going to try to make cake in a rice cooker.  They tell me it is possible:) I also watched the men play soccer on a field where I would instantly break my ankle -blobs or rock hard soil with holes between.  They were covered in mud as there are sections that are puddles all year round. 

For the library - I would love to have a way to increase the readable books for the grade 9 students.  Perhaps we could start a campaign to send books; both "high interest, low vocabulary" and great reading books for grade 9 students.  The collection here is large but dry.  There are so many good books available that these students do not see.  I think it is expensive to ship books here.  Perhaps someone could investigate how to purchase and send books at a low cost.  In Thimphu there are great bookstores, I could go there on a buying spree if I had the funds.  I would also love if someone could purchase subscriptions to some youth magazines.  Soccer and basketball are both popular.  There is not a culture of reading, although many students are good readers.  I would like to turn them on to some interesting reading.  When I think of the books in our library at school and in my classroom, both fiction and non-fiction, I drool.  So if you have any ideas, please let me know.  

2 comments:

  1. I like the idea of supporting reading for your students - I think that the best solution to accomplish this is to send funds to help buy books locally - or to order then through a book seller in Thimphu or ?? - I can imagine that supporting the book distribution infrastructure in Bhutan would be better than simply shipping heavy books half way across the planet. Great initiative to work on. Miss you lots. Rob

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi heather! I wish you luck with raising some money for books, the kids will be turned on to reading with some new material, esp magazines for that age group. maybe you could even approach the publishers of the magazines directly for a charity subscription???

    ReplyDelete