Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Tuesday March 26th.


  I have been in Bhutan over 2 months and here teaching for 5 weeks.  Hard to believe actually.  Today I was freezing cold once again.  Everyone was talking about how cold it is and I was blamed for the weather, bringing it from Canada:) 
People here are tough.  The boys in their bare legs under the ghos, the girls in a lightweight dress with a cotton blouse under and a cotton blouse over.  I had a sweater over top, which is obviously NOT part of the uniform and I am waiting to get scolded.   My class 9 boys lost their basketball game against class 11 by only one point.  It was cold and windy and rainy.  Spectators had umbrellas, some wrapped themselves up in a player's gho. Getting ready, my players swapped their black school shoes for runner type shoes from the players who had just finished.  I noticed the boys lovely black knee highs that they wear with the national dress had holes in them. I often forget that the families must be poor and are probably making significant sacrifices to get their children to school. 

No comments:

Post a Comment