Monday, March 4, 2013

Just an update.


Sunday I slept in and read in bed until 10 am, re-reading Jamie Zeppa's book "Beyond the Sky and the Earth".  She taught in Eastern Bhutan in 1989.  so much has changed and so much is the same.  I laughed and cried this time through the book.  Then I hiked up the mountain behind town for 3 hours.  I think I made it to the top of s something.  I was surrounded by trees and could see the next height of land behind the hill I was on.  The hills roll out one after another.   There was a rhododendron - bright crimson - in full bloom. There were some other bushes that had a beautiful perfume. 
     I wish I had brought the Kindle full of books.  What was I thinking?? I just received a text from a friend, Andrea in Punakha who is sending me some books:) Hooray!
I taught all day today and it is going fine in the classroom, although I do not know if the students think I am crazy.  They are accustomed to rote learning and I am teaching experientially.  I am trying to get them to interview a partner and then write a short biography.  They were having a difficult time coming up with questions.  So I role played an interview of myself, changing hats every time I changed roles.  They had to write down one of four questions as I said them, then get together in groups and create a larger list of questions..  Hilarious- the chaos it creates in the overcrowded room. 

     Questions in regards to my success with the cake - I used buckwheat flour which I find to be delicious but needed more butter/eggs I think.  Also my tiny inexpensive rice cooker would not stay on so I could only cook on "warm" instead of "cook".  I find the banana bread quite edible especially if I worm it in butter in the fry pan:) 

No comments:

Post a Comment