Thursday, March 7, 2013

Teaching is teaching. Kids are kids. Wherever you are.


I have 3 classes of grade 9's.  Most are the same age as our grade 9 students in Canada, however I discovered today that one boy from a village is 17.  We do have repeaters also - if they fail English, they repeat the year.  One of the teachers at school told me his story of repeating today.  Sometimes when they are day scholars their parents will send them to boarding school to repeat, as the boarding day is very regimented with lots of extra study time and students do not have to work on the farm or around the house. 
Today my lesson bombed with one class and was amazing with another class.  Discipline issues in the one class.  No different than at home.  I always say to myself that when I am struggling with a class at the beginning, I usually love them by the end. The balance of students in this class is more day scholars.  Also the grade 9 students who are strong become IT students- and this particularly class is not an IT class. 
  Today I am struggling with being here for a year.  The town is noisy and bright.  I have not lived anywhere with street lights for well over 20 years, and there was blaring music outside all day on Sunday.  Tonight the hostel or something had music too.  I find it quite exhausting, and not at all what I expected here in Bhutan.  I sometimes feel as though I am living downtown Mexico City or some strange metropolis. 

No comments:

Post a Comment