Sunday, March 17, 2013

Weekend in Chukha











Saturday morning we had a huge cleanup rally for International Happiness Day next Wednesday the 20th of March.  That day will mark 2 months here for me! 
All of the students, teachers and many townsfolk gathered with banners for a couple of speeches then went off to our respected regions with sacs (which one of my boys pronounces as sex with much teasing from the girls and this teacher :)  It was a warm sunny day and we picked up garbage.  Lots of it.  I enjoyed being out in the sun.  I worked in earnest, not sure about many of my students - they went through the motions.  I was disappointed today to see the refreshments (a lychee juice that I find awful) had been littered around the basketball court.  The infrastructure for garbage collection is weak.  Trucks followed us on Saturday, but some of the bags are still on the street.  My class 9A girls had basketball and won their match. They were about to play their quarter final match when the heavens opened.  It went from a warm t-shirt day to 3 layers of clothing and the heater on. 
     Saturday evening there was a baby shower.  4 months old.  At this time the parents invite everyone and have a feast and drinks.  It was a work one so a collection is made and a gift is given in the form of cash.  It was a nice evening - more Bhutanese singing and dancing.  Funnier this time as those that really know the songs were not there. 
As usual Saturday is wash day and in the afternoon everyone is out scrubbing and hanging their kira and gho.  Sunday The boarders do work in the hostel.  Cleaning the outside, gardening, then washing hair or clothes.  They have study period in the morning and evening and a two hour reading time.  Sunday afternoon they are free, but not free to leave. As I walked to the picnic grounds I saw the people who work all week busy collecting wood, chopping wood and doing clean up.  I cam across a gaggle of kids having their bath in the sun.  Outdoor tap, plastic tub and lots of laughter.  In town, plastic tubes were out all over the sidewalk and the public taps were busy.  
I made a Thai curry for supper tonight and cannot wait to eat it. I brought Thai spices, including kaffir lime leaves and galangal root, from Thimphu along with one tin of coconut milk and some rice noodles. 

1 comment:

  1. Ha! That was funny - was looking at your photos and saw the kids I taught last year when I was in Pakshikha, where David Plant is now. They must have moved. Very jealous of you being at the beginning of the year, and here's me at the beginning of the year after! I promise you, no matter how difficult you might find it at times, it's going to fly by so quick - savor the time ;-) David G

    ReplyDelete