Wednesday, April 3, 2013

multiple posts


Staff Meetings.
       To all of my teaching friends.  Be thankful when your staff meeting ends by 5 pm.  We had our first monthly Staff Council Meeting tonight.  Classes were shortened so we could start at 3 pm, classes normally end at 4.  The meeting was delayed until 3:30 and finished at 6:45.  There were 15 items on the agenda, the last being nomination and voting for the Academic Head.  The teacher who is currently doing the job is leaving this week.  This particular high school of about 800 students has a Principal, one VP, an Academic Head and a Non-Academic Head.  Some similar-sized schools have 3 vp's instead.  The vice principals do not earn more money than teachers, they are all paid on the same scale.  So is the principal, although housing is provided on site for principals. In one discussion during our meeting I learned that as government employees, civil servants, we are on call 24 hours per day.  Not literally, but if needed we are expected to be available.  When we leave our site, the Principal needs to know.  Even on Sunday, our one day off. 
      

Feelings
       Woke up this morning to a gorgeous day.  Things have greened up and the sky was bluebird.  Stunning, a bit of wind but just enough to keep the clouds away.   I guess I am lucky I once lived in Pincher Creek because when I really think about it, the wind was blowing pretty hard this morning :) 
       Had some moments of fear as I began my day, mostly fear of not being able to do this through the summer, the fog, the rain, the fog, the cold, the viruses,  everything.  Just when I had found a real sense of determination, I felt fear. I am wondering if the fear is of my own ability (or lack thereof) or of the obstacles ahead.
       My determination got me to school, through all of my classes with humour and (I hope) some learning, a long staff meeting and dinner.  I know that sounds like a normal day, but I am fighting this "viral fever" and it seemed like a lot to me.  Boiling water for a hair wash and body bath, to wash my towels, to wash dishes and to cook with all add to the length of my day.  I am also being observed by the principal this week and am not fully prepared.  
       April Fool's today and the students love to trick the teachers.  I tricked all of my classes.  Had them convinced they had a large grammar test tomorrow.  They really laughed when I said April Fools.  
       I just had another nice dinner out.  Tshewong, Sonam's husband, is leaving in the next couple of days.  I will miss him and the boys. The woman who cooked did a 2 1/2 year chef's course in India.  She is now upgrading her high school marks and living with her brother who is a teacher.  She is keen to help me with recipes.  Tonight we had a yummy sort of Nutrella - which is chunks of dried tofu that you rehydrate.  I have tried cooking them with moderate success.  Her's were delicious.


2 comments:

  1. Hi Heather, I think its parsley to but I would have to eat some to be certain :)

    Hope you are well!
    Colin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Heather, you are making us here at BCF so jealous about all the lovely foods, hope you are doing well!

    ReplyDelete