Thursday, April 4, 2013

April 3rd


Parsley?? What is the verdict? 


I cannot believe I am still having roller coaster emotions.  When I really examine these feelings, they are mostly low when I am not feeling well and otherwise I am doing just fine.  I did not sleep much last night but forced myself to go for a walk.  It is usually beautiful in the mornings, so this seems to be my best plan.  Last night the storms were incredible once again and as I am writing now the streets are overflowing from what I would call flash floods. It is raining so very hard and lots of thunder and lightening.  Someone told me the thunder is even more impressive elsewhere (the East perhaps?)  but I cannot believe it.  Rob - you would love these electrical storms.  After a lack of zzz's I was a bit weak this morning on all fronts - physically and a complete lack of determination.  Getting out the door was achieved with simple willpower.  And it was worth it.  Although I was exhausted all day, I taught 3 great lessons, was evaluated by the principal, had a post-evaluation conference and had my Media and Democracy club.  Afterwards I was to help with selection of school representatives for athletics - running today, jumping tomorrow and throwing on Friday.  Cancelled due to rain for today so went to Chimi Pem's for tea.  

I wish I could record the cracks of thunder and the pounding of the rain on the metal roof!!!  Everyone comments on my small "cute", "tiny" umbrella.  Theirs ares all golf umbrella sized. 

Chimi Pem told me about the last elections where she and 2 other teachers were election officers in Logchina.  A "4 day" walk they did in 15 hours.  Stayed in the village huts for 4 days and worked.  This is where she and Palden would like to take me during this year's elections.  I doubt I will be able to go as foreigners are not allowed to participate in elections and with many teachers working as officers, I will probably be needed at school.  I can always hope.  Cross my fingers. 

Many queries as to the state of my new accommodation.  Looks great, still no word on the date that I will shift.  Rumour has it that it will be this week, however I am not holding my breath.  

Tonight there is a staff going away supper for Tshewong, husband of my friend Sonam Choden who left for Dagana a couple of weeks ago.  He has been a great friend also, very helpful and kind.  I love their boys.  I do not think I have shared how some of the families are with the children. This group of fathers are wonderful.  When they get home they head directly to pick up the babies and play with them.  Mostly the kids have loads of cousins and friends around, but  everyone rolls around on the floor or bed together for awhile before the kids run off to play.  Kids are comfortable with the adults they know and seem to have favourites amongst all of the grown ups that come to visit.  The single women all take turns playing with the babies at dinner functions too.  Babies are not usually there for the duration of the event, but are often brought over by a niece or nanny to feed or to connect with moms if they need to.  One little boy - about 4 or 5 years old I think, is the most serious boy I have ever seen.  During the school Rimdro, he sat most of the morning with the monks, up on the stage quietly participating.  His reading when he was born said he will become an important monk.  Interesting! 

Enough said for one posting.  Thanks everyone for reading so much!! There are almost 4,000 hits on my blog :) 

1 comment: