Saturday, April 27, 2013

Friday Night


Friday at 4 pm we generally have professional development, because of course Friday is not the end of the week, as we teach on Saturday.  This week and apparently last week we did not have pro d.  Today, however, the principal brought us together to say thanks to those who took over when many teachers went for election duty.  Momos.  Yum.  they are little wheat flour pockets with veg or meat mixture in the middle.  Served with a very hot chill paste on the side.  I ate the middle out of the meat ones, as I cannot eat wheat, and hate missing the momos. 
Afterwards I walked to Tshimisham (about 30 minutes one way) to get some cash from the ATM, than back up.  Although I left as the fog was rolling in, it rolled out and was a very pleasant evening.  I walked up the hill with a student who told  me all about her twin sister who lives at home in a different village.   They are 16, in grade 9 (started school at 7 years of age). The twin no longer attends school as she has problems with one eye.  So many students live with a sister, brother in law, uncle or someone else in the family that looks after them.  The young teachers all have at least one sister, brother, niece or nephew living with them to attend school.  It is assumed that a teacher will take better care of the child and supervise their studies better than the parents.  Also, remaining at home means the students have duties around the home, whereas staying with a teacher they may cook, but mostly they will do homework. 
Bought veggies on the way home. I feel very fortunate to be in a village with vegetables.  I have to admit I miss the asparagus that I had every day in Paro last week.  I get it here occasionally and feel completely spoiled when it arrives.  I used my new pressure cooker for the first time.  I bought it a couple of weeks ago after a yet another failed attempt at dal, and several burning events of yummy food in my kitchen.  You would have laughed.  I was in the kitchen scrubbing clothes when the whistle went off the first time.  I ducked and stayed down.  It must have been a silly sight.  My dinner ended up being lentil dal, red rice with butter and papa dams.  Delicious. OK so I am lacking on greens, but will make up for it tomorrow. 
Today I took photos of my students in small groups to send to the teachers/classes in Canada that are also receiving the biographies my students wrote.  It was fun.  They look so serious in their photos. They are pretty excited to connect with Canadian students.  
Teacher's day is May 2nd.  There is a cultural program that the students will put on for us and I think they are planning a lunch.  There is no budget so they are giving up two meat meals this month, one lunch and one dinner, in order to provide food for teachers and day scholars. The teachers have performed for the past few years but the leader transferred away this year so things are moving very slowly.  A few years ago a Japanese volunteer teacher also worked with the staff to do a traditional Japanese dance.  Therefore I am to lead/teach a Canadian dance.  Ha.  I have decided to do the chicken dance, mostly because of my highly developed musical skills. And it will be lots of fun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment