Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Daily Life



Woke up to the busy sounds of the girls heading off to study at 6:15 am.  The hostel students have 2 study blocks where they go to class, sit and do homework and studying.  No novels.  No talking.  Each block is an hour long.  The first occurs prior to breakfast.  Their bell wakes them at 5 am for washing.  After study they go to breakfast, then back to the hostel for cleaning.  Afternoon study is around 5:30 pm, before supper.  After supper there is also evening study, which is in their hostel room. 
My day still starts with a walk, then breakfast and a wash.  I have started washing my hair in the mornings instead of at night.  It was too cold before, but is warming up.  I leave my place around 8 am to be at assembly by 8:20.  It is a 2 minute walk, but lots to do along the way. We have to go upstairs to the principal's office and sign ourselves into the logbook every day. 
Food is a big part of my day - apart from teaching.  Today I had asparagus so made buckwheat cakes for breakfast (perfect fried bananas on top) and ate them for lunch with the greens.  Tonight I made my favourite comfort food - mac and cheese. Asparagus side. The commercially produced cheese is like Velveeta, but not as orange.  The noodles I use are vermicelli rice noodles that come wrapped in newspaper, then orange paper and tied with a thin string.  I have not purchased meat to cook at home but am working up the courage.  Chicken.  Maybe.  Meat comes from India where it is slaughtered, then trucked in non-refrigerated trucks which are driven FAST along the crazy highway. 

1 comment: