Thursday, February 28, 2013

First Illness


     Woke up on Wednesday morning felling great - took my short walk up to the ridge to see the Dzong.  Was feeling pretty proud of myself for keeping to a routine where I boil water and am very careful cooking eating, brushing my teeth and dishwashing. Got to assembly and thought I was going to puke everywhere.  A bit terrified as I did not know where I would puke!!  As I was pretty queasy I went home to bed.  Slept, did not puke but had a giant headache, achey body and super dizzy.  Went to the hospital to see the doctor, as we need to check in if we get sick. I was given painkillers and a sedative.  He thinks it is a viral infection which I understood to be wild or whilr infection.  Because I went with a staff member, everyone had to check in on me.  Bhutanese do not leave you alone if you are ill. At one point I had 5 teachers a baby and 2 principals in my place checking on me.  Sonam Choden, my friend who has not left yet, went home, made me rice porridge, brought it to me hot and sat with me while I ate.  I did not feel like eating but they believe you will lose your strength if you do not eat.  I guess I could have gone to work today, but still had a fever this morning and felt really slow and weak.  Have slept and am making granola on the top of my stove.  It is working, but takes a lot of gas I think.  Porridge is quicker and easier to make.  I also made yogurt in the rice cooker for the second time. Each day I heat water and wash a few clothes also.  
     Currently the sky is a beautiful blue and the wind is blowing - fairly hard. I wish I could record the sound of it whipping through the house. It is much warmer out than when I arrived and I no longer feel as though I need to huddle around my heater.  
     Update on History - yesterday morning I was given 6 blocks, last night I no longer had them.

No comments:

Post a Comment