Thursday, February 28, 2013

Frustration to Fun


I started my day in a different classroom as they were repairing windows in my home class.  Then all class 9 students had to go to the assembly ground as they had decided to collapse a grade 9 class and add students to all of the other sections.  So now my classes will be between 34 and 40 students.  In this process I went from teaching 4 blocks to 3 which means 24 classes per week to 18.  Fine.  Problem - the schedule.  After much discussion and explaining I thought I understood where I should be.  Problem #2 not everyone understood the same as me.  So I would be teaching and kicked out of my room by the TP - training teachers.  I was so confused and frustrated the Academic Head was tired of seeing me, and I came VERY close to tears.  Meanwhile some teachers are teaching, some are not as the timetable is changing, therefore students can sit alone in their classroom for hours with nothing to do:) 
New teachers arrived but they still have no one to teach History.  I said I would so had to endure hours of discussion about who will teach which grade.  Finally I will not be teaching History.  I think.  For now.   Perhaps. 
This evening was an all staff farewell to a really well liked and active teacher.  Someone I do not know very well, but had seen videos of teachers dancing for teacher's day.  He was the head choreographer, also very active with students and on staff.  There were lots of speeches prior to eating yummy food.  Then we all danced and sang traditional Bhutanese songs.  Too much fun.  Hard to describe.  I love the music and the dances, they all tell a story which of course I do not understand.  I cannot really sing, but try to form some sounds to begin my language education! A video of the evening would have been nice, but I don't think it would convey the feeling in the room. I danced with all of the children and really enjoyed myself in a mellow sort of way.  I think they appreciate my jumping in and trying things.  Lots of questions about my age, my family and what I am doing here.  Hard to answer really.  

No comments:

Post a Comment