Sunday, February 17, 2013

Sunday

Fog rising above the girl's hostel

Sunday . . .
       A lot of rain in the night and snow on the hills out the window. The rainy season has arrived.
The water is running mud and apparently will do so all summer.
Purchased a water filter and another bucket.  My water system starts with running the tap water through a tea towel (thanks to Arwen in Gasa for that idea), then letting it settle in a bucket, scooping settled water off the top and into another bucket to settle some more.  For drinking and eating the settled water gets boiled and then into a filter that has 3 systems: ceramic, 6 layers of carbon etc and a stone.

       I set up my "desk" in my room and re-did the curtains and clothesline that I had set up late the first night I was here. I put  the table in front of the window and I am watching the girls' hostel building disappear completely in the fog.  Had hoped to clean but the water is so muddy today I do not see any point.  Washed some clothes in the murky stuff and am wondering what washing my hair will be like later!

       I am about to do some planning work for school. I will be teaching English 9, but I do not know how many classes.  A big wait and see as we are apparently receiving more teachers "in some time".

       I am STILL having some difficulty comprehending that I am here for a year.  I am enjoying cooking as a bit of a distraction.  Had papadams last night with my dal.  This morning I made buckwheat pancakes and ate them with peanut butter and some with fried bananas. YUM.  I am even eating porridge in the mornings and enjoying it. For the past 3 mornings I have walked at 6:30 am for 45 to 60 minutes.
looking down the valley towards Gedu


Women out working the soil after the big rain


       I am having hard time with names although I think I have 5 or 6  teachers straight.  The sounds are so different and I always have to get to know someone in order to remember a name.  Trying hard - I write them down 2 or 3 times but am still timid saying them as I make so many mistakes.  It will be good to practice with the student names, as there will be lots of them.   The funny thing is there are not many names in Bhutan.  The same names are used over and aver again, boys and girls can even use the same names.  There are no family names, but most people have 2 names to help differentiate.  Families and friends call each other "uncle" or "baby", they rarely use each other's names!

       Love and thoughts to all of my family and friends in Canada. I do read my email and appreciate any news.

No comments:

Post a Comment