Friday, February 15, 2013

First day of school and Valentine's Day



Feb 13, 2013

First day of school  . . . a day in the life of a Bhutanese High School teacher

Woke up to a glorious sunny day.  Did my little yoga practice.  Scrubbed the bathroom floor.  Washed hair and body out of a bucket.  Made breakfast: an omelet and some yogurt and mandarin orange (currently in season). Put on my kira (the skirt), wanju (the blouse)  and toego (the jacket).  The blouse and jacket are fastened with a koma
(brooch).  Rushed to be ready for 8:15 as the VP said we would go together.  Teachers were to report at 9 am.  We did not leave here until 9.  Teachers milled about for an hour and wrote our joining reports, a letter stating we are reporting for work for the year.  Handwritten. Some wrote in the beautiful Dzongka script, similar to Tibetan.

I was asked how I like Bhutan and was told all about how foggy it is here and that I will have many leeches everywhere, including inside the house.  Lots of salt will be required.

We all went inside to  a new-ish room called their collaborative classroom. It has computers around the outside and a conference like sut up in the middle with a projector and screen.  Spent the day signing up and discussing teaching assignments, house leaders, homeroom class leaders, clubs and club leaders.

Tea with milk and sugar was served in the morning and in the afternoon.  For lunch I was invited to Sonam Choden and Tsering's home.  Dried red chile emma datse.  I would say VERY spicy hot.  They are a young couple, enthusiastic and dedicated teachers.  They have 3 young sons and spent 2 years in Australia doing their masters.  Unfortunately she has applied for a VP position and they may be transferred in the next week.  There were 16 positions this year, so she could be sent anywhere. They will find a posting for her husband too.

At the end of the day I walked for about an hour.  Aussie Andrea from Chume called she had a difficult day.  We have been keeping in touch by phone and it has really helped me.

Cooked supper I have real swiss cheese from Bumthang until it runs out, so made broccoli and cheese sauce using my buckwheat flour as a base.

I have been told twice that the large buildings that are no longer inhabited on the outskirts of town are haunted.  I truly believe it because 2 days ago when I walked by the awful feeling about this place began.  I was also told today that there is a problem with H1N1 here and to be careful eating eggs.  I did read on the internet 2 stories about slaughtering chickens in this area because of bird flu.  If anyone knows more about this, please let me know.

The kids do not seem very physically active here.  The large soccer field is not usable because of drainage problems.  Right now in the very dry season there is both standing  and running water across the field.  Cannot imagine what it would be like in the wet season.   I am wondering if there is some international NGO that I could apply to for funding to put in proper drainage and a playing surface.

Must go heat up some water, wash dishes and clean up all food . . . Then I will probably read and sleep.  

Hope everyone's day was as peaceful as mine:)

February 14   Happy Valentine's day.

Could not upload this so will continue . . .

I had a haunted night's sleep, but an ok day at school.  The proceedings are mostly in Dzongkha, but the information is projected in English.  So I get the gist, but it is exhausting. Today was deciding on all sorts of things that took all day.  For example we discussed from 3 to 5 the list of students nominated for captains for the year.  Democracy in action, but slow to do.  At least everyone is heard.

  The friends I have made, Sonam Choden (f) and Tsewong will be leaving.  She just found out that she is successful in her application for a VP position.  They are a dynamite team and will be missed at the school.  Great teachers with lots of energy.

I also understand that the flat I am in will not have anyone move into it as the building has been condemned.  I would love to know what qualifies in Bhutan . . .
 


No comments:

Post a Comment