Wednesday, February 13, 2013

First day of school

There is internet at school. 
My toilet stopped giving me a shower every time I use it. 
I woke up to a beautiful sunny day today. 
National dress is handsome and beautiful. 
The teachers are funny. 
No mice in my hair last night. 

So a good day. 

I was immediately warned of the fog, cold and leeches that will be everywhere, but hey, one day at a time. 

In Bhutan the teachers usually report 5 days before students show up for planning.  This year there was Lhosar (new year) and we only have 3 days.  First day - signing up for the courses you will teach, discussing the timetable, signing up for clubs, home rooms.  All done by consensus.  I am not sure it would work at home.  Apart from sounding like chaos in the staff room, there does not seem to be the overt power play that I would imagine at home.  Although there are obvious "players"  they do listen to each other.  Because it is done with everyone present there are no deals being made. I may be naive and missing a lot in the dialect that I do not understand, however I do see universal behaviours that are easily recognizable and politeness  is one of them. 

I have some photos and will post when I figure out how to connect my computer to this system.  


No comments:

Post a Comment