Saturday, February 16, 2013

Student reporting


It rained in the night so is cold out. Or rather cold in.

Yesterday I visited my friend in her shop and her younger sister is home from university in India and likes to walk. We walked the kilometre or two to the next town and back yesterday and again this morning at 6:30 am.

After my walk yesterday I bought green beans and carrots . . . was wandering past the mess hall after having talked to students all over town. They were reporting to the hostel(boarding rooms) and as it was the first night permitted to be out and about in town, purchasing last minute buckets, uniforms, books and other odds and ends. A teacher was outside the mess hall and asked if I was coming to the wedding. I know nothing about it but was invited along. The son of one of the caretakers was being married in a Hindu - Bhutanese style wedding I think. They had prepared a dinner for the teachers and staff of the school. We wished the bride and groom good luck, they went back to their celebration and the teachers ate. I enjoyed myself. The celebrations went on out my back door all night!

At 5:30 am the whistle/bell rings in the girls' hostel and they parade out one group at a time to the toilet block then up to the mess hall. A very regimented life they lead.

Our first assembly was this morning. Unfortunately it had rained in the night and rained on the assembly so it was shortened. Students prayed (chanted) and sang, then teachers were introduced. I received a big round of applause. All very solemn and yet quite beautiful.

Then we went to the meeting room for admissions. A long line of teachers – the admissions committee, the school secretary, the matron, the warden, then us the class teachers. Students were processed along the line then we signed them into our homeroom classes. Very time consuming. Only half the grade 9 students are here I think.

I ate the dal I had made last night, then snoozed all afternoon. Andrea the Australian teacher who is here with her family called and she is having a very difficult time. She is in a very small school and community and having difficulty with the basics, like wood for the fire (cold, cold region) and finding any curriculum resources at her school. People do not seem to be very helpful so her family seems to be fending for themselves. I am finding it quite a bit easier than they are. Amazing how we adapt. I went from feeling desperately isolated to coping with the challenges. (for today) I have to admit I am in a town and not a village so there is a lot available to me here. In fact I am going to Sonam Choden's to use the internet later today . . . to post this:)

It is pouring out so I will delay my outing.

No comments:

Post a Comment