Sunday, February 17, 2013

Cooking




       Here are some photos of the kitchen.  Not too many as it is a bit grim.  The water filter - the top layer you can see the colour of the water after it has settled out but before it has been filtered.  I was a bit too smug and content with the clear water I had before the rain.  I must say the farmers and everyone with a garden (that would be just about everyone) is happy as the ground was so dry and hard prior to this rain.  As soon as it let up the gardens and fields were full of people preparing the soil to plant.


       News from Thimphu - more snow today than they have seen in years.  Apparently Dochu-la pass was not "passable" this afternoon.

I visited the student mess this morning where they cook.  The pots are larger than anything I have seen in my life.  wood fires to heat up the butter tea and hot water.  The hostels are not heated and it was COLD last night.  Students were warming their hands in their bowls and mugs.  They bring their own dishes.  Breakfast:  fried rice. Lunch dal and kewa datse.  Supper they have eggs or meat twice a week with rice.  Also they get cabbage every day for vitamins.  Apparently the food at this school is better than most.  I know the cooks are good cooks because I have had some of their meals.  The supply of food is what is expensive and each school is allotted an amount in $$ per student. School agriculture programs supplement the diets with greens and other food they grow. 

       I found a Harry Potter DVD in my disc drive Sunday. . .  no idea that I had it  watched a few minutes :)

1 comment:

  1. Wow Heather, we really do take potable water for granted. I am glad you are finding cooking a good distraction;hopefully, when you get into the swing of the school you feel more in the groove. I am in awe of your courageous adventure. You are an amazing woman!

    ReplyDelete