Thursday, October 24, 2013

I Went to Thimphu to Visit . . .

                                            His Majesty the King of Bhutan.  

I was invited to a special ceremony where Nancy Strickland and Sam Blyth of the Bhutan Canada Foundation received gold Awards of Merit from His Majesty. 


When I arrived in Bhutan I was a bit taken aback by the large photographs of the Royal Family in people's homes.  Villages, cities, large homes, small homes, shops . . . they all have framed photographs.  Often there are photos of both the fourth and fifth Kings and sometimes photos of previous Kings.  I have to admit I found it kind of corny at first.  Then I became curious and began to look at the pictures with a deeper interest.  In the classrooms there is usually a corner devoted to photos and articles about the monarchs.  This was obviously something beyond my Canadian cultural paradigm.  As I talked and listened, it became obvious that there is a great deal of love and respect for the King and his Queen.  Although in Canada we have many people fascinated by the British Royals, this is not at all the same situation. 

I have come to see that His Majesty, the King of Bhutan, has a great deal of love and respect for his subjects.  Everything I have read conveys a deep concern on his part for their well being.  

So I was honoured, excited and very nervous to go to the throne room at the Tashichoe Dzong in Thimphu.  There was a short ceremony and then we had the honour of an audience with the Prime Minister and a later audience with His Majesty.

Val and I practicing our bow


Dave all geared out in his gho

Nima helping Dave get dressed 

Me, Sam Blyth, Sarah, Valerie, Dave and Nancy Strickland

Dave, me, Sarah, Valerie, Karma, Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment