Monday, October 7, 2013

Adventures in Food . . . Purchasing Meat

Although buying meat is not difficult, it has taken me 8 months to venture into this realm of culinary experience.  Meat comes from India.  In a meat truck.  The trucks are not refrigerated.  Meat drivers are crazy on the roads.  Fortunately I live close to India.  Every time I think I would like to purchase some meat I have the unfortunate experience of standing near a meat truck in Thimphu.  The smell, the dogs, the unpackaged carcasses being dragged out have been enough to put me off. Once I was braving an entry to the meat shop when the owner walked out holding a dead rat in his hand, crossed the street and pitched it into the gutter as if . . . as if he did this every day. 

I am, however a meat-loving carnivore.  I wanted to eat some meat after months of veggie curries, veggie tomato sauce, veggie soup and other veggie creations. 
           Yesterday I turned this:  
1/2 kg boneless beef 


Heather's homemade stew









                  Into this:



The peas were in pea pods, I had to shell them.  The meat tastes wonderful and is incredibly tough.  It is hard to imagine anything else when you see the cows wandering around. Although the cows are from India, I think their life is equally as rough as cow life in Bhutan.  The carrots and potatoes are locally grown.  

Next adventure?  A bar-b-que??

1 comment:

  1. Once a carnivore...

    Hope all's well Heather. Miss you around here. No, I'm not lying. Looking forward to your return. I've followed your blog but haven't commented much. Maybe I need to once a week. ;)

    ReplyDelete