Sunday, October 27, 2013

Chelela Pass (Cheli la)

I went to Chelela pass between Paro and Haa - 3,988 meters.  As we drove up from the Paro side I caught views of Jomolhari. The driver explained that in Tibetan Jomo is a Goddess and the name means mountain home of the Goddess.  

At the pass I walked up the ridge, had lunch and then walked down the other side towards Haa for about 2 hours  The larch trees have turned yellow.  The walk was beautiful and I loved the view and being in the mountains. 

Jomo peeking out above the clouds in the distance 



The walk up the ridge from the pass - before where I had lunch 


The ridge I followed down towards Haa 
On my way up the ridge 
Haa Valley
Larch :) 
Saturday Evening I stayed in Haa and met a Canadian who teaches at Gedu college.  We did a short hike to this monastery today. 






Once again I had a spectacular weekend.  I loved being in the mountains.  In Haa I went to the high school and chatted with students who were playing soccer and doing laundry in the hostel.  I really liked Haa.  The drive back around the mountain is breathtaking, but long.  There are great views of the road from Chuzom to Chukha, so I got a whole new perspective of where i travel almost every week.  Haa is a sleepy valley, except for the army .  Both the Indian and Bhutanese army have camps there, as there is a pass into Tibet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment