Monday, August 12, 2013

More Culinary Delights and changing tastebuds

I wonder if your tastes change when you eat different foods.  They must. 

When I arrived in Tshimilakha, the VP was my neighbour and he invited me for dinner.  I brought a "vegetable curry" and he made the rice and a meat curry. He asked me if I had put sugar in my curry.  I had not, however I had not put the required amount of chiles and salt.  So the natural sweetness of the carrots was evident. 

Tonight I cooked fresh wild mushrooms.  I have no idea what they are called but I tried pan frying them with garlic and fresh local butter.  They were not really cooking so I turned the dish into "shamu datsi" - mushrooms, chile and cheese. Boiled up a bit to cook the shrooms. I had also made eggplant parmesan.  Real imported hard parmesan cheese, the eggplant is unique but tastes the same as what I eat at home.  A splash of red wine, lots of black pepper and tomatoes.  

Well the eggplant dish tasted . . . too sweet.  Actually it was delicious, but the chile, cheese mushroom combination definitely won in the tastebud arena.  

A small confession :  I cannot call my cooking Bhutanese.  So the "shamu datsi"  is not really shamu datsi as I put in part of a chile pepper instead of 6 chiles. It does have a hint of the chile flavour - almost enough to make my eyes water.  Actually there are some chiles that do make your eyes water if you sniff them. 

Believe it or not :)  


No comments:

Post a Comment