Friday, August 9, 2013

Language

I have an acquaintance from France who thinks that the language they speak in Quebec is actually not French.  Growing up in Quebec, I always thought he was a language snob. 

In Bhutan the students and teachers have some interesting uses of the English language.  Of course the Canadian teachers find some expressions hilarious and others truly annoying.  I have even begun to say some of the them . . . daily.  Sometimes it is because I want to be understood, other times it it because I hear it so often, I think it is becoming part of my speech.  

Some of the problems stem from translation - Dzongkha does not use articles and has no tense.  'Isn't it?" is a question tag that attaches itself to almost every sentence. Some of the problems are from colonial Indian English that has been brought to the schools over the history of the education system. 

The question I am constantly asking myself is:  "How much do I change what my students are saying when it is the language that is in common use in the country?"  For example, when you finish school here, you do not graduate, you pass out.  Everyone says it.  The situation is similar to  a French Canadian expression that was perhaps in use in France in the 16th century, came over to Canada and has since disappeared from use in France.  The French laugh at it. 

So am I a native English speaking snob?  Or will I reach to Thimphu, only? 

My current strategy is to explain that certain expressions are used only in Bhutan (and perhaps India) and in the North America we say . . . . 

I am thrilled when they say a complete sentence without framing it inside I quote, I unquote :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment