Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Chukha weather report

I have spent the last 20 years married to Rob who often talks about the weather.  Our computer home pages have always been Environment Canada's weather page.  Canadians predict, talk about and discuss the weather.  For many it is small talk, for us it has not been. 

Since I have been in Bhutan I have noticed that the weather is not a huge focus.  It just is what it is.  No asking "what do you think the weather will do?" as it is just not part of the small talk.  

Until the past 2 weeks in Chukha. 

What do you think of this weather?  Isn't this the worst place to live?  Do you like Bhutan?  But not Chukha weather.  What is the weather like in Canada?  You should go to Paro or Pemagatshel where the sun shines. 

My earlier questions of how long rainy season would be or what it would be like, really had no definitive answers.  Now the weather is the talk of the town. 

Part of the talk is centred around the fact that many students are sick, many teachers are sick.  The viral fever and the local weather are apparently related.  So they tell me, the teachers, the kids and the doctors. 

However I would not get sick if I wrapped my neck, closed my curtains and windows, did not go outside for a walk, stopped chewing gum, burned incence in my house every morning to chase the spirits away and made offerings to the right Gods . . .  and Ma'am drink hot water. 

It has nothing to do with the fact that I am squished into a classroom the size of my living room with 40 students who are fevered, hacking and spitting . . . does it?   

Actually I was sick earlier and the students are dropping like flies now.  Time to escape for a weekend.  :) 


1 comment:

  1. When in China it was open the windows and let the bugs out even in -30

    ReplyDelete