Thursday, August 15, 2013

Cat Stevens


I know this will date me as to my musical tastes: 
              I used Cat Stevens "Father and Son" song today for my listening and speaking lesson.  However, the Bhutanese students are dated too, they are asking for Michael Jackson.

Many students feel that the son should never go against his father's wishes.  How things will change here.   I told the students that I chose the song because  the feelings of not necessarily wanting to follow the parent's traditional lifestyle in the 60's and 70's are similar to what I see in Bhutan today.  Young people are educated, and using music and fashion to express their new ideas of the life they hope to lead.  

I have tried a couple of times to explain dancing at home - a high school dance- with little success.  I tried to explain today that the slow songs are where you hope the boy you like asks you to dance.  Not sure what they think of that one! 

I also devoted a part of the class to forming questions - they each had to form sentences with "toilet"  "notebook" and "doubt"   because I am tired of hearing "Ma'am, toilet"  "Ma'am doubt"  "Ma'am notebook"  and having NO IDEA what they want.  Their other teachers must be able to read their minds!!!!!!  Well ok, "toilet" is easy to figure out, but so is a sentence. 

After school I held a remedial class - I want to help my 9 B students who are failing other subjects.  It was a trying exercise to get them to stay.  Of 40 students about 16 are failing one or more of Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Biology.  The same with Geography, History and Economics.   I have requested these students stay on Thursdays for homework checks and explanations.  Chaos in my room.  Those who did not leave settled down and I asked them to choose a subject, and ask me to help them with something they do not understand.   It finished with:  "Ma'am,  we like how you explain.  You know everything, Maths, Biology, Physics."  Nope I just know English and that is how I can explain it in language that I know they understand.  With examples they can relate to.  I have some students who have asked me to continue tomorrow at lunch.    

Later this evening I heard that the Academic head noticed that the 9 B. C and D classes I teach have good marks in English . . . perhaps they are learning something even though I am not so sure most days. 

Off to bed early tonight.  I keep saying that and 10 o'clock rolls around.  Tonight it is . . . raining . . . and thundering.  There is not a lot of thunder during the rainy season as it just pukes water instead.  This morning iit was clear and sunny and it has cleared in the night for the past 3 nights.  So the sun and heat have created a great thunderstorm for tonight.  

1 comment:

  1. I think the desire to "please" your parents still holds true in the western culture, too. Even though most of us rebel as youngsters and may end up following our youthful dreams for awhile (which our parents call wasting our substance) we often end up as adults going the traditional, conservative route and "living up" to our parents' original ideal.

    Not that I am particularly proud of that fact. It just seems to be the default setting as we age.

    Interesting, though.

    And I love the fact that the Bhutanese teens don't bump and grind at high school dances in front of giant screens filled with erotica. Oops. Am I dating myself, too? Kids these days, eh, Socrates?

    Anyway, Heather, I am loving reading your blogs. Keep it up. Can't wait til you come home, though!You'll have a huge slide/talk show, I am hoping!

    Don't let the rain get you down! It makes the flowers grow...okay, I know, too much can also drown them, right?

    ReplyDelete