Saturday, November 23, 2013

Musings from my Road Trip and 9 Hour Bus Ride

As I was riding in the very back seat of the bus, bumping and swaying along the road, I was thoughtful about  leaving this country.  The views are stunning along the way.  Waterfalls, the himalaya, albeit shrouded in cloud, the trees, the rocks, the cliffs.  Quite an amazing place to build a road. 



What will it be like to go home?  To leave all of this behind?  I was asked on the first day Jon arrived what I was looking forward to when I get back to Canada.  I had not really thought about it.  Over that day I said things like a hot bath and the warm floors in my house.   Since then I have come up with a few more inane answers such as real red wine. 


Many of my BCF colleagues are having mixed feelings about leaving.  We are already feeling nostalgic.  I will never be in a place where the monks mingle with the people in the shops and on the streets, where they are a common sight.  Where prayer wheels and flags are everywhere.  It will seem stark at home without all of this. 


On the bus (9 hours is a long time) I also thought about my posting to Chukha and various other postings that I have visited.  As much as I have come to like it here, it still holds something that I cannot define.  After my travels with Jon I am quite content to be "home" doing some writing, cooking and reading.  However, the place itself does not leave me at peace.  When I am out of the townsites in places like Paro, Haa, Tshankha, I have this deep feeling of peacefulness.  It may be the mountains that tower around in the background. It may be that this place, Chukha, perched on the hillside above the jungle, houses restless spirits that take hold of me.  Who knows.  

I thought a lot about the education system, my involvement and my students.  I am thoroughly dissatisfied with what I have done this year.  One year is not long enough to become accustomed to the system and more importantly have the students get used to you.  I really think the year has been worthwhile for me and the students, but feel as though I could do so much more - for them; a reading program, speaking with more students, a speaking program, more improvement in their writing.  My list in endless.  I would like to contribute more to education on a national scale too.  Perhaps that is too arrogant. 


Students in the Multi Purpose Hall writing exams no lights

Today I can hear monks chanting and horns blowing.  These sounds I cannot bring home. 

1 comment:

  1. I can so relate to your experience of "the leaving time," of wanting to breathe in your last weeks, days, hours and minutes as deeply as you can. But then it's countered by that yearning for "true home" and everything familiar. Maybe the transition I love the most is the feeling of experiencing "true home" with new eyes and a much heightened sense of appreciation, especially of the small things...

    ReplyDelete