Thursday, November 21, 2013

Jon and Heather's Road Trip Part 2

In Punakha I woke up and made Banana Bread in Sarah's rice cooker.  Burnt the bottom, but that seems unavoidable with cakes in the cooker.  Jon and I went to the Punakha Dzong, which I have now visited probably 5 times.  It is quite beautiful and imposing, sitting at the confluence of the MoChu and PoChu rivers (mother and father) The poinsettia trees are in bloom right now. 



We walked up the PoChu along a lovely trail that takes you past the crematorium where there was a funeral going on.  Then to the suspension bridge and a bit further with great views of the valley.  I have now seen the year of seasons and the bright green rice paddy fields are all brown again.  Jon took some video of the rice being threshed by hand. 



We had lunch in Bajo - at the same restaurant as the night before.  Jon ordered Dosa - which is south indian food and I really like it.  They tend to eat it for breakfast I believe, but it made a great lunch.  Dosa look just like a real Breton crepe, but are made from a flour that is a combination of rice and lentil flour. Potato masala inside. 

At 2 pm we "reported" to the bus.  Bus schedules have reporting time and departure time.  We watched the bus driver and his assistant change a flat tire, loaded onto an old creaky bus and were on our way along the bumpiest road, almost, I have been on yet.  (I think the road to Gasa wins the prize) The bus stopped at every corner store to pick up goods and people and at one point the bus was SO full I do not know how we climbed the passes.  On the way into the Phobjikha valley we stopped several times to let different groups off.  One crew had lots of luggage and filled a utility trailer pulled by a tractor - a common form of transport in farming areas. 

It was very dark when we arrived so two Bhutanese men from the bus ride walked us to our guest house.  I knew it was a small farm house that had bukaris (wood heaters) in each room  We were expecting a rustic situation, but it was warm, cozy, spacious and had hot showers.  Yummy dinner and nice woman who runs it. I had my best sleep in months - SOFT and comfortable mattress, cold air, warm duvet and blanket.  aaahhh

No comments:

Post a Comment