Sunday, November 3, 2013

I wish I had said . . .

We all have those moments where we think  . . .     "If only I had said..."  


Imagine having the opportunity to speak with a King, a very special King. 

What I wish I had said: 

1.  Many people say to me in Bhutan that they are grateful and appreciate the fact that I have come here to teach.  That I have endured hardships to do so.  I have had an incredibly rich experience and I am the one who is most grateful for this opportunity  Without my time in Bhutan I would not have insights into the Bhutanese way, beliefs and how they approach their daily life. I have learned so much about your country, the people and the education system.  Far from hardship, it has been enriching. 

2.  His Majesty said in a speech to the graduates (Kuensel):  

If we pay close attention to history, we tackled the same challenges that are being dished out at us today with conviction, fortitude, tenacity, wisdom and hard work,” he said.  “These elements have brought us to where we are today, and these are the very elements that will carry us forward.”

I see this wisdom and hard work every day at school.  I also see a place for intrinsic satisfaction for a job well done.  There is a structure of extrinsic reward in the school system.  I have thought a lot about helping students know intrinsically they have done a good job and feel proud of their work without being arrogant.  Rewards and punishment may need to give way to taking responsibility and feeling pride in personal achievement without those tangible rewards.  Because of Bhutanese fortitude, tenacity and wisdom, I believe the shift is within reach.  

And lastly, 

3.  Will you drop into my classroom on your way to Wangchu? 

There are things we wish we had said and things we know we could not REALLY say to the King.    

No comments:

Post a Comment