Monday, May 20, 2013

SHIFTING


Moving from one "quarter" (as in staff quarters) to another is termed shifting in these parts..  I will be shifting to my new quarter tomorrow, Sunday May 19th.  On Friday after school I had a team of students help me clean.  Mostly the floors were covered in concrete-like sand.  I had planned to move today, Saturday, but it was not an auspicious day for shifting, neither was Friday.  I am hoping Sunday is.  No one could really tell me today.  I think I could find it on the Keunsel website (newspaper) but do not have  internet today.  Saturday when I would have moved it was puking rain anyways and the floors had not yet dried in the house. 
Stuff to shift 

New Bedroom - the light is lovely 

New Living room 
My new place is very nice and cute and bright.  I would say clean but the mystery mould/fungus has invaded because of the time of year and of course it was pretty filthy after construction.  There are a few anomalies.  It is on the second floor and the family that will be living downstairs was also cleaning on Friday.  They have 5 daughters and will be living in a space similar to mine.  When they had the water turned on, I had no water upstairs.  Interesting. 

I am about to go to bed in my old place for the last time.  Mixed feelings.  I almost said to hell with it -I want to stay here. Part of me still does.  I am used to the location (half a block away) and being here - my routines.  I do want to move for the light - the new place has much nicer light.  I was looking forward to the geyser - hot water tank, but at the moment do not care. I am hoping to leave the small bugs that are eating me alive behind.  The bites look like flea bites, but I cannot seem to find any fleas and the bugs that I do find are much tinier than fleas.  A bit like no-see-ums. 

There are 2 small mirrors in the new place.  I have lived without for 3 and a half months.  I may trim my hair more often.  Being able to plug in a kettle and rice cooker without blowing all the fuses in the apartment is appealing. I am also looking forward to having friends for dinner - tomorrow night.  It has been a long time coming.  The balcony already has a small chair on it for eating outside on nice, or not so nice, days.  

I went to Bhutan Telecom on Friday to start the process of getting internet.  I had been assured that there was already a phone line and it would be easy.  HA.  Not only that, it was international something or other communications day (World Telecom and Communications Day) and some big 25 or 50 or 75 year anniversary of Bhutan Telecom.  (Golden Jubilee)  Celebrations mostly consisted of huge bonuses for reloads on your phone, so it was crazy in the office.  the stores that sell vouchers were nuts too. Somehow my 50 percent bonus loaded as 40 percent, but I cannot complain. 

No comments:

Post a Comment