Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Science Exhibition


Science Exhibition 
This day was a cluster science competition: 2 Dzongkhags (Samste and Chukha) competing in a science fair for decent money.  The winning school received 20,000 nultrum. A sum that would boost a school budget significantly.  Our school had won last year so hopes were high, however my colleague Dave Plant in Pakshika created a star lab and it was a big hit.  His school came second.  Each school had 3 entries and I am not sure what the winning school had, except for a rocket display.  We got 4th prize - 3 schools get 2,000 nultrum.  Many of us expected Chukha school to do better because of 2 displays.  One being a great invention of a squishy speed bump for corners using magnetics and electricity to flash a light for the oncoming vehicles.  You have to drive these roads to believe the corners, however the model is pretty realistic.  Also a group created a "perfect society" that combined many of the popular projects:  rain collection, flood warning, power generation.  It was extremely well done.  
More assembles, special guests, speeches and of course refreshments.  Momos both days:  a little dough pouch with meat mixture inside.  Sounds dull but is yummy.  The lunch today was catered with really good curries, ema datse, meat; vegetable, beef and chicken curry and papa dams. I did not need anything else all day.  I have convinced the caterer to sell me some of his ground meat mixture that he puts in moms so that I can make a meat spaghetti sauce. 
  There was also the local sports competition this weekend.  One day was football, another athletics and tomorrow I have to work at volleyball, basketball, badminton and table tennis.  Unfortunately I am working in refreshments, which does not interest or suit me.  Today I played table tennis with my class 9 boys.  Good fun. 
  I also went for the Dzong walk through the jungle to the Dzong then back via the road with five TP (teaching practice) teachers and Palden.  It was a super pleasant 2 hours, including tea in Tsimasham. The walk is about 5 kilometres round trip, but we wandered and chatted and one of the TP teachers told us all about the plants and what they are used for.  Ate some tiny wild strawberries.  


Palden, Chencho, Passang

Same with RNB and me 

Prayer water wheel 

Dzong fire alarm

My favourite the road warning system

No comments:

Post a Comment