Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Merry Christmas

So many good-byes for me here, and fun adventures.  

The last 3 hikes - to Sang Choekor, Chelila with Kela nunnery and then a sixth trek up to Tiger's Nest - really have made me the happiest Canadian in Bhutan.  Each day was topped by a vist with my Bhutanese friends. and it has been bittersweet.  I have tried severall times to sit and write about these last days, but have not been successful.  Either no internet or too tired I thought.  Today I have decided that there are some things that are just too overwheliming to write about, so will enjoy every last minute and connection that I have here.  

Christmas eve there were 10 or 12 of us at the Gangtey Palace for a lovely dinner and get together.  The group consisted of BCF teachers, staff, a Canadian inventor and two of my dearest friends from school.  That was my Christmas eve. 

Yesterday I went to Thimphu, staying in a friend's luxurious house, Lucy and I cooked turkey dinner for 12.  Nancy Strickland had been given a turkey at Thanksgiving by the King himself.  She also received a cake from HM.  We cooked 4 or 5 vegetable dishes, potatoes and 2 desserts - apple crisp and trifle.  

Then I heard that there were Bhutanese guests coming... there was a debate whether  to cook rice or not.  The word for rice is the same as the word for food in Dzongkha . . . we decided there would be no food for Christmas dinner. 

No comments:

Post a Comment