Saturday, December 14, 2013

Endings

It is always with mixed emotions that we leave a place.  I usually find that friendships deepen and experiences intensify right as we are going away. 

Right now I am so much more comfortable with everything.  I was sitting at the IMTRAK canteen and said to Dave - I am so "at home" here now.  Even four months ago some of these interactions would have been stressful -  understanding the salesperson, meeting the man that directs the canteen for the Indian army, being behind the canteen because there was work going on at the main window, eating new food, interacting with the Extended Classroom Teacher who lives a two hour hike across the river and recognized me...

Do I feel more comfortable because I am leaving?  Who knows.  I do feel less stressed because exams are over, my marks are done and there cannot really be too many more surprises before I leave.  Up until now it seemed that every single day there was a surprise or hurdle or crazy thing that I did not understand and had to figure out and deal with.  Because everyone else seems to know what is needed and expected, it is often difficult to resolve, complete or deal with run of the mill bureaucratic requirements.  Hopefully all is done.  One small example:  my road permit is with my sister's driver whom I will meet at the airport tomorrow.  I have to pass through an immigration checkpoint prior to the airport.  Once again it is a situation that is now familiar and I will hopefully be able to manage. :)












No comments:

Post a Comment