Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Information from our driver


My sister Andrea visited me for 8 days. In Bhutan tourists must pay a fee and tourist entries are limited each year. Included in the tourist fee are guide, driver, a fee to the tourist association, museum entries, some meals and two to three star hotels.

On behalf of Andrea I opted NOT to have a guide, which is allowed because I live here. Our driver spoke excellent English, understood us and was an excellent driver. It turns out he was only 22 years old but had driven a large “tipper”truck for two years and owned his own vehicle – so was a freelance driver. This was his first year driving tourists. He had been busy for 3 months.

Special information that he gave us:

Bhutanese do not wear seat belts because the roads are so steep and if you roll down with a seat belt on, you cannot be thrown from the car to safety.
Monkeys like bananas and we can feed them from the car windows.
Drivers that have their own vehicles can earn as much as a government minister.


1 comment:

  1. Hello, thank you for blogging about your experience. I will be in Bhutan for 10 weeks and I was wondering if I could ask you a few questions, I couldn't find a way to contact you through your blog. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete