Thursday, June 20, 2013

EXAMS PART I


Here I sit on exam duty.  I am supervising 32 quiet students who are writing their 3 hour long Dzongkha I or English I paper.  In language classes students write two 3 hour papers.  In English 9 the first paper is 350 word expository essay, a business letter, 10 marks on the Nature of Language and 30 marks of grammar questions.  Next week they will write their literature paper.  Four sections of 20 marks each:  short story, novel, essay and poetry.  Both the short story and novel they have already studied, the other two are unseen. 

In class 9 the question papers are written by the teacher.  Grade 10 and 12 have ministry exams at the end of the school year.  I believe there are ministry exams in class 6 also.  I had past exams to use as models and found myself very much sticking to the model and teaching to the exam.  The one change I think I may have introduced was to ask students to understand what they have memorized.  For example the Nature of Language the students have memorized:  "Language is a systematic means of communication by using words, conventional signs and symbols."  They even have actions to go with it.  On the quiz I gave, students were shocked to lose marks when they substituted convectional of conventional. uh oh . . .  they need to understand and be able to explain it to me, relating the definition to the purposes of language (which they have also memorized).  

I will see see if they have succeeded when I mark their papers. 


No comments:

Post a Comment