Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Walk to the Buddha

     At 6:50 this morning I wandered out for a walk not really knowing which direction I might take.  Found myself walking uphill towards the BCF (Bhutan Canada Foundation) office.  Last Saturday we had tried to find it in the dark as we were hoping to arrive at the 50 + metre statue of the Buddha by sunrise.  This morning I took all of the correct turns and walked past the office.  The next part of the road seems obvious, but is not.  I managed to take the road past Druk Secondary School and was on the right path.  I had not intended to walk all of the way up and knew that I might be late for breakfast. 
     It was a glorious morning, sunny blue sky. Clear.  So I kept walking.  There were no cars, and I saw only a handful of people all morning.  
     The statue is out of sight for the bottom half of the walk.  Suddenly when I came around a corner, there it was, shining in the early morning sun.  In the opposite (northerly) direction are (very) large  mountains not visible from the valley.  The entire effect is breathtaking and surprisingly moving.  This was the best point of the walk for me.  Arriving at the Buddha was a bit disappointing as it is a construction sight at the moment.  Although it was pretty spectacular being there all alone. 
     I jogged back to the hotel and grabbed the last bit of breakfast before getting ready for my first Dzongkha lesson. 

No comments:

Post a Comment