Thursday, August 20, 2015

Visit to Chukha

On Wednesday night 4 of the 5 volunteer teachers travelled to Paro. We stayed at the Gamgtey palace. I had the room where Andrea and I first stayed in 2013 and the couple that was with us had the beautiful corner room that Rob and I were lucky to have before he flew out. 
The other teachers were headed up Tak Sang on Thursday morning. 
At 6:45 am Palden and I got on a bus that was headed to Samtse, and rolled down the foggy road to Tshimilakha. Luckily the fog lifted enough to be able to have a good view. We got off at the zero point and did the walk up to town that we did together so many times in 2013. We were both nervous and excited as we were surprising our old Chukha high school friends. Well the effect was overwhelming. My face is still sore from the enormous grin I had all day. First in the village, then I went alone to the staff room while Palden waited for Chimi Pem to get her a Kira. The look on teacher's faces when they saw me was heartwarming. We had tea, then my class 9 students gathered around. I also visited them in their classes and chatted. 
Anju planned to have Palden and I for lunch, but the women all wanted to hang out so we went to a new hotel in the bazaar for fried rice. Then to homes to visit the babies. I did not have time to return to the school for more visits and photos of the students, which I regret. The fog closed in and we took a bus to Thimphu. Passang, the BCF driver, called and the gang met me at Chuzom, which was awesome because Palden and I had time to say good bye. I have so many rich memories of my year at CHSS - it was a wonderful day.



No comments:

Post a Comment