Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Rewind 2015

Here I sit in Bangkok and it all seems so familiar that it brought me back here to my blog. I sometimes wonder who reads blogs . . . .

To bring readers up to date, I am on my way to the Tang valley in the region of Bumthang, central Bhutan.  I am volunteering on a summer reading program in an elementary school. I will be working with kindergarten, grades 2 and 4 or 6. Very different for me and I have to thank Robyn Simard for materials and suggestions.

In regards to travelling, I am overwhelmingly amazed by our capacity to move so many people around the planet in the air. To me it is surreal to take off from Vancouver and be in Bangkok 18 hours later.  There is an awful lot of water down there as I look out the porthole from my cramped seat.  My contemplations on the flight took me to wanting to sail or at least go in an ocean liner to some distant destinations.  What a life it must have been sailing off to discover new islands. I don't think it was terribly long ago as one of my grandfathers or perhaps a great-grandfather "sailed the Seven seas under sail".

As I sit in Bangkok I am flooded by memories of arriving in Bhutan in 2013, not knowing the adventure that lay ahead. And leaving Bhutan with a dear friend (Dave-dear is an unusual word, but we share precious memories).  I am not certain what is drawing and pulling me back to Bhutan apart from the friends I left there; maybe the feeling that I was not "finished" when I left in 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment