Saturday, July 13, 2013

Musings from Bhutan

There is so much I would like to write about but will only contribute a few short notes as I still have marking to do today. 

I am quite pleased with my student's exams.  Some are strong, some are poor and some are mediocre.  However I learned a lot reading them, have lots of good ideas for second term and think that for class 9 they did quite well.  They write as well as or perhaps even better than my French Immersion students at home.  There was strong vocabulary and students made interesting comments. 

Beautiful weather yesterday in Thimphu and I traveled to Tshimilakha . .. with difficulty due to elections today.  The buses have all been sold out for days and taxis were hard to come by.  Once again a policeman helped me get a ride with a great guy in a TATA dump truck and a family that was also hitching a ride.  The driver took my number so we could be "sisters". 

Home to fog and fungus.  The mould on the walls is sure ugly.  Spent the evening and day scraping and brushing walls and cleaning everything else.  The walls get brown and black spots then it blooms into green blobs.  Fabric gets white fuzz.   Pillow is garbage. Big rug that the staff gave me for my housewarming is kind of stinky to put it mildly. The mould seems to be the thing that bugs me the most.

It poured right after I arrived home yesterday then sunny this morning and raining this afternoon.  The couple of nice days were a bonus. I think we are back to rainy season. 

After Rob left I walked up Taksang again with the Chisholm family.  The boys made it up and back.  It was an all day event. 



Rob took some great photos. this is Dochula pass coming from Punakha to Thimphu. 


A panoramic view of the Gangtey Palace Hotel in Paro 


                                        Paro and Paro Dzong







No comments:

Post a Comment